Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Sustainable Gift Wrapping

Hey friends!
With Christmas sinking into the rear view, I’ve been thinking about my family’s Christmas get-together. With five brothers and sisters, a couple boyfriends/girlfriends, a nephew, and my parents, it gets a little crazy and the presents are PILED to the ceiling. It’s a beautiful array of everyone’s individual tastes in wrapping paper, such as my brother who obnoxiously wraps presents in three layers or my mom who wraps each person’s presents in different patterns of paper (mine is always Harry Potter!).
However, after helping to pick up the massive heap of discarded wrappings, I couldn’t help but think that it was such a waste. I love my Harry Potter wrapping paper and doing everyone else’s in buffalo check plaid and red pick-up trucks, but there’s got to be a better way.
I saw on Facebook a string of sustainable gift wrapping ideas, including putting items in mason jars, wrapping in newspaper, and using leftovers wrappings from previous years. Unfortunately I couldn’t figure out how to share it to everyone on here. However, I did find a neat little video on YouTube that has a couple cute ideas. I’m definitely going to try some of these next year (especially wrapping in newspaper!).
Check these out!
Sustainable Wrapping Ideas

One thing that was kind of cool that Amazon does is that you can opt (by paying and extra $3) to have them wrap your gifts. My brother did this for a few of his gifts and they came in cloth bags with drawstrings. I know Amazon probably wrapped it in layers of boxes and plastic too, so that’s not ideal, but the bags are awesome to keep for next year and wrap someone else’s gifts in!

Do you have any green wrapping ideas or practices you already use or that you want to try next year? Leave them in the comments!

Merry Post-Christmas Friends,
Ally

No comments:

Post a Comment